Site Moved

This site has been moved to a new location - Bin-Blog. All new post will appear at the new location.

Bin-Blog

Bin-Co.com Transaction Status

The transaction from my old site to my new site is going smoothly. Some major work remains to be done - this is not a very daunting task - I just have to convert all my pages from static text to dynamic PHP script. Just brainless manual labor - but I hate doing it. I am hoping to complete all works by the 15th of this month.

As expected there are some troubles - the major one being SEO. Almost all the SEO work I have done till date is aimed at my geocities site. So all the advantage gained there will be lost when I make the transition. The good news is that Google have already recognized my main page. Search for "bin-co.com" in google and you will get my new site as the result. The bad news is that only one page is index as of yet. Still I guess it is good for a 3 day old site.

The next thing is all the links I have collected over the years. Many sites have linked to my old site. All the visitors must be redirected to the new site once the work is complete - this won't be much of a problem as I have already created a script that will redirect the user to the same page in the new site. Go to my Tcl/Tk Tutorial page and click on any link to see the result of this script. I have not enabled this script globally - but I will do that once the work is over.

The script is given here...


//Redirect user to the same page on another server 
function redirect() {
  var anchors = document.getElementsByTagName('a');
  for (var i=0;i<anchors.length;i++) {
    var href = anchors[i].getAttribute('href');
    var old_location = "http://www.geocities.com/binnyva/code/tcl/tutorial/";

    if(href.indexOf(old_location) != -1) { //Change only the internal links - leaves the external links
      href = href.replace(old_location,"");
      anchors[i].href = "http://www.bin-co.com/tcl/tutorial/" + href;

      //Not really necessary - I had to add this because I used geocities
   //    and they inserted frames all over the place
      anchors[i].onclick = function () {
       parent.location.href = "http://www.bin-co.com/tcl/tutorial/" + href;
      }
    }
  }
}
window.onload=redirect;

The third problem is the design. The old design was good for a geocities site - but it is just not professional enough for a web development site. I will have to get better design - and I am very bad at designing. I mean, most of my 'designs' look like a 4-year old kid's mis-adventures with a crayon.

Filed Under...

0 Comments: