Site Moved

This site has been moved to a new location - Bin-Blog. All new post will appear at the new location.

Bin-Blog Transaction Status

The transaction from my old site to my new site is going smoothly. Some major work remains to be done - this is not a very daunting task - I just have to convert all my pages from static text to dynamic PHP script. Just brainless manual labor - but I hate doing it. I am hoping to complete all works by the 15th of this month.

As expected there are some troubles - the major one being SEO. Almost all the SEO work I have done till date is aimed at my geocities site. So all the advantage gained there will be lost when I make the transition. The good news is that Google have already recognized my main page. Search for "" in google and you will get my new site as the result. The bad news is that only one page is index as of yet. Still I guess it is good for a 3 day old site.

The next thing is all the links I have collected over the years. Many sites have linked to my old site. All the visitors must be redirected to the new site once the work is complete - this won't be much of a problem as I have already created a script that will redirect the user to the same page in the new site. Go to my Tcl/Tk Tutorial page and click on any link to see the result of this script. I have not enabled this script globally - but I will do that once the work is over.

The script is given here...

//Redirect user to the same page on another server 
function redirect() {
  var anchors = document.getElementsByTagName('a');
  for (var i=0;i<anchors.length;i++) {
    var href = anchors[i].getAttribute('href');
    var old_location = "";

    if(href.indexOf(old_location) != -1) { //Change only the internal links - leaves the external links
      href = href.replace(old_location,"");
      anchors[i].href = "" + href;

      //Not really necessary - I had to add this because I used geocities
   //    and they inserted frames all over the place
      anchors[i].onclick = function () {
       parent.location.href = "" + href;

The third problem is the design. The old design was good for a geocities site - but it is just not professional enough for a web development site. I will have to get better design - and I am very bad at designing. I mean, most of my 'designs' look like a 4-year old kid's mis-adventures with a crayon.

Filed Under...