Site Moved

This site has been moved to a new location - Bin-Blog. All new post will appear at the new location.

Bin-Blog

Moving the Blog from Blogspot

Now that I have broken my dependence on GeoCities, I think I am going to do the same with Blogger. I have been using Blogger to host my blog for almost a year - and I am very happy with their service. But I think it is time to go professional - build a Blog on my own domain - using a software that I could customize to fit my own needs. It will take some time but I think will do it.

Jakob Nielsen, the usability guru have given a list of mistakes you can make in blogging(something I blogged about before) and the last one is about having a Domain Name Owned by a Weblog Service.

Having a weblog address ending in blogspot.com, typepad.com, etc. will soon be the equivalent of having an @aol.com email address or a Geocities website: the mark of a naive beginner who shouldn't be taken too seriously.

I am not very sure that having a 'blogspot.com' address will automatically demote one's site in others eyes - I have seen many great blogs on free services, but I am a web developer and I will be disregarded if I am using a free service to create my site. These blogging platforms provide the lowest entry point to web publishing - I will not come out good if I continue using this service - now that I have an option to use my own site to do the blogging.

But the main reason I am switching is because of JavaScript. Blogger will not allow me to insert JavaScript code into the post - this prevents me from making a demo of even the simplest scripts on the page. I have to depend on an external site if I wish to create a demo page.

Also if I use a professional option, I get to use WordPress - I really wanted to learn this blogging platform. Another alternative is to stick with Blogger - but use their FTP option to upload the posts directly to my site. But this option will not solve the JavaScript problem described earlier.

What do you think of my decision - good or stupid? Did any of you experience a similar situation? If yes, how did you solve it?

0 Comments: