Lately, I am under a lot of pressure to move this blog to one of my own servers. I have thought about this before. I even have moved parts of it - like BinnyVA and OpenJS - but never moved the site entirely. Moving has its advantages and its disadvantages. Before I make the decision, I thought I will ask the site's readers for some feedback. So, what do you think guys? Should I move to my own domain?
Advantages of Moving
- More Serious
- A blog that has its own domain will be considered by many to be more serious than a blogspot site.
- A self-hosted WordPress blog is a better blogging platform than Blogger
- WordPress gives the user a lot more control than blogger
- Easier Commenting
- I can take the captcha out of commenting - Akismet will protect me from spam - even though there is some problems - like false positives.
- Google Juice Sharing
- If I move, I plan to move my blog to http://www.bin-co.com/blog/.
- So all the SEO advantage for the blog will be available for Bin-Co.com and all its SEO advantage will be available for the blog. A nice setup.
- I have many links pointing to this site - this includes one Digg Homepage appearance. I will lose all those advantages if I move away. This is the main reason I have not moved away yet.
- Maintenance overhead
- even though there is automatic installation and updating for WordPress in Dreamhost.
- Server Capability
- In the event of a Digging, a blogger site has more chance of staying alive than a smaller site. But I believe my hosting can take a beating before going down. But still, Dreamhost has its, how shall I put it..., issues.
What do YOU think?
I am forced to consider this move because many people have asked my why I am still on Blogger - despite having many sites of my own. Look at the comments on my last post - Benedict Herold has only one thing to say. Can't blame him - he already has made the move - from Blogger to WordPress. He even has a neat picture to explain which is the better platform.
Then there is Ajay. Says he won't comment on my site unless I move to wordpress. When ever I chat with him, he wants to know if I will move to wordpress ;-). So, Ajay, here is your chance to have your say - should I move or not. Comment on this post, OK? Even if you think it is a bit slow for you.
So, what do you think? Should I make the move? Leave a comment. Do you have any experience to share about moving your blog? Let me know.