Site Moved

This site has been moved to a new location - Bin-Blog. All new post will appear at the new location.

Bin-Blog

Jasfer or JAvaScript FEed Reader

Jasfer or Jasfer or JAvaScript FEed Reader

Another product off the assembly line - Jasfer or JAvaScript FEed Reader. This is a JavaScript program to read RSS feeds and display it in a HTML file. With the publicity AJAX has received, making this program was just a matter of time.

You can embed this software in your page with just a couple of lines - then any feed of your choice will be shown on your page. I made this software to be as customizable as possible - it is very easy to change its appearance using CSS styles. Adding more features is also just as easy. I have created a few demos - Jasfer Examples. Check them out.

That was the good news - the bad news is that as of yet, the script will only work in IE. I am trying to make it functional in Firefox. If you can't wait, just take the code and do it yourself. That would save me a lot of time - and as I said earlier, that is a very rare commodity these days. Any help in this department is greatly appreciated.

Now a bit on the technical details on how the script works. It uses the Microsoft's XML Parser(Microsoft.XMLDOM) and will extract all necessary info using the DOM structure. Currently, the script will work only for feeds that are in RDF and RSS format - that means no atom - which is very bad for me as my blog has an atom feed and I won't be able to show my blog entries in my main site. I will try to add this feature as soon as possible - as I am very much dependent on it.

The to do list is given below. Again, any help is appreciated.

  • Make it object oriented
  • Firefox compactable
  • Documentation(I am going to hate this part)
  • More themes - some professional ones.

0 Comments: