Site Moved

This site has been moved to a new location - Bin-Blog. All new post will appear at the new location.

Bin-Blog

Annual Naked (X)HTML Day

Dustin Diaz has called for the first Annual Naked (HTML) Day on April 5th. Needless to say, I'm in. I did a lot of work to make my site valid - in terms of validation, usability and accessibility - knowing full well that very little people will appreciate it. I mean, how many people browse the web without the stylesheets? These guys will never see the work I did - because they will only see the pretty colors. At last, I have a chance to show them what I have gone thru while making the site.

If you want to participate(and I recommend that you do), go to the CSS Naked Day page of the site. All the details you need is given in that page.

The idea behind this event is to promote Web Standards. Plain and simple. This includes proper use of (x)html, semantic markup, a good hierarchy structure, and; well, a fun play on words. I mean, who doesn't want to get naked?

If you want to see how a site looks like without its cloths - I mean CSS, just get the Web Developer extension, install it, go to the site and hit Ctrl+Shift+S. Voila - now the page will be shown without any CSS formatting. Of course, you will need firefox for this to work.

My site will automatically switch to the non-CSS version when it is April fifth. I used the PHP code...


//This code is for Dustin Diaz's Naked day.
$style_info = '<link rel="stylesheet" href="'.${rel}.'style.css" type="text/css" media="all" />
<!--[if IE]>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="'.${rel}.'style_ie.css" type="text/css" media="all" />
<![endif]-->';

if((gmdate("d") == 5 and gmdate("m") == 4) or ($_REQUEST['preview'] == 'nostyles')) { //If it is the fifth of april, take down the styles.
 $style_info = '';
 $nostyles_msg = "<div id='nostyles'>Hello World</div>";
}

If you just can wait to see the naked version of my site, use the preview function.

0 Comments: